Minister Inaugurates TB Mobile Facility
- Written by Oluwafemi Olowookere
The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole has inaugurated TB Mobile detection facility in Muhammadu Buhari Specialist Hospital Kano, Kano State.
The Minister also on behalf of Kano State Governor inaugurated Boards of Kano Health Trust Fund (KHETFUND) Agency, Private Health Institutions Management Agency (PHIMA) and Kano Ultra Modern Special Hospitals (KUSH).
Adewole alongside with the Executive Governor, Kano State Dr. Umar Ganduje and the Emir of Kano, Alh. Muhammed Sanusi II, launched Access to Care for Enrollee of Kano State Contributory Health Scheme (KSCHS), Free Breast Cancer Screening Programme for 1,000 women as well as distribution of Laptops and Internet Moderms to Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Officers in the State.
Speaking during the programme, on Wednesday, 20th June 2018, the Minister said that all of the programmes were geared towards achieving Universal Health Coverage.
He said “people like you make my work easy, while some called on me to help them but the message from your Excellency is come and see what we are doing”
He advised that the Muhammadu Buhari Specialist Hospital should be operated on different plat form. “It should be run by independent Board, those to work in the hospital can be seconded from other organization, worker most not go on strike, but the they should be paid higher than other workers so that they can be encouraged to give their best and work 24 hours” he added.
Speaking on Cancer, the Minister said that Cancer was number one killer disease among women. He said launching of free screening on Cancer was a way of reducing the cancer related death in the Society.
He said the “Wellness on Wheels (WoW) programme on TB was aimed at providing diagnostic facility and treatment to the Tuberculosis patients at their door step.
He said Nigeria was one of the countries with large number of undetected TB patients in the world, Nigeria detected only 25% the remaining 75% Patients were not known and they also do not know that they were TB Patients.
The Minister said the mobile TB detecting facility would move everywhere in the state and detect the TB patients for appropriate free treatment.
In his remarks, the Executive Governor Kano State, His excellency, Dr. Umar Ganduje said that the rationale behind establishing Muhammadu Buhari Specialist Hospital was to provide services not only to the Kano State populace, but to entire country.
He said “our intension is not only to serve the people of Kano state but to make Kano center of medical tourism in order to reduce foreign medical tourism”
Also speaking, the Emir of Kano, Alh Muhmmadu Sanusi II called on Nigerians especially the wealthiest people to support government at all levels with health facilities or equipment as government alone cannot cater for the need of all Nigerians.